C2 paddling under current Covid-19 restrictions

Discuss past and future events
jke

C2 paddling under current Covid-19 restrictions

Post by jke » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:06 pm

What is the latest guidance on crew boat paddling ie. C2s? I’ve seen nothing published in 2021. Returning to competition after May 17th if the guidance for crew boats is No (apart from say family/bubble crews) then is it sensible to remove the C2 class from the schedule for these early races altogether?
John Kent

Mike Mitchell

Re: C2 paddling under current Covid-19 restrictions

Post by Mike Mitchell » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Could this be the final Nail in the Coffin for C2 or do we become sensible and let the C2 crew make the decision.

JimW

Re: C2 paddling under current Covid-19 restrictions

Post by JimW » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 pm

Some age groups are exempt from 2m distancing, some crews are families and others are from different households so it does make for a bit of an uneven playing field at present, but I think we need to get away from the idea that we are going to have a level playing field in any category for the remainder of 2021. Paddlers in different areas and with different backgrounds within an area will have had vastly different opportunities to train over the last 14 months and it is likely to show when we get back to racing.

I've been in a boat most days hammering out 20-30 minute sessions in WWR so my forward speed is good but my technical paddling has virtually disappeared and I don't seem to be able to do repeated bursts (which is my own fault, that is a session I can do in WWR). I was out on the sea yesterday for the first time since doing a virtual TT in October, I was struggling to get my sea boat up to the average speed I was doing in TTs never mind the max, yet I can get my WWR boat there in a few strokes. Cross training is useful, but all those who who have only been able to cross train with no access to gates or moving water may need a bit longer to back to where they left off.