3.5m slalom boat

Stuff wanted
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:02 am

I am looking for a used but watertight 3.5m slalom kayak for an 80kg-85kg paddler. Not too fussy about which one as I just need to get into something shorter than my 4m boat that will allow me to pivot around the tail end on a bow rudder. Either message me here, post below or email me at info@parkerarchitectural.com with pics/details/price etc. Many thanks.
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:44 am

Hmmm....150+ views and no posts .........I wonder why anyone would look at this topic (a) if they do not have a boat for sale and (b) if they do not have a boat for sale and do not have any reason to post a reply? ho hum...thanks for looking anyway....and now I posted here again I suppose you are all going to look again right? lol...well c'mon and find me a 3.5m/3.6m boat ok!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:20 am

:D Just incurably nosey I suppose!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Morky

Post by Morky » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:19 am

If by some miracle you get more offers than you want please forward to me as I am also looking for the holy grail of slalom kayaking.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:44 am

I think the nosey comment must be about right - 442 views now!

Is a second hand 3.5m the Holy Grail of slalom? Or maybe just for us 85kg paddlers :-) I am having second thoughts about this now anyway. I paddle a 4m Prijon Becker and its still a great boat for me. Other than missing out on spinning like a top I probably would not benefit greatly on run times. I am a vet paddler so maybe a 4m boat is more "in character" :-) I can still whoop plenty of paddlers in their teens and twenties anyway :-) It's a bit like riding a bike ...erm...but without the pedals and a bit wetter!

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:33 pm

My demo DD Virus is for sale, it was built up for a 85 kilo paddler

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:44 am

Aha! After 762 views, a reply! I have PM'd you accordingly :-)

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:17 am

Ok, as this rather dull topic has attracted over 800 viewings I feel almost compelled to update everyone with the news that I have now purchased the Double Dutch Virus as offered to me by Dutch Geezer above for an undisclosed yet mutually acceptable sum :-) Yay! My search for the illusive 3.5m 85kg paddler slalom boat is at an end. Thanks to all those who assisted me in this transaction, especially the "Which?" magazine style review of its performance by someone who will remain nameless - you know who you are :-)

So, the question now is "should this topic be removed" because it is a shining example of the audience that this section reaches and really should be left in place! I have no doubt that this simple additional post will take the veiwings over the 1000!!!!!!! Maybe I should post at various intervals to update everyone about how this boat (the one that so many are so interested in) is getting along.

Thankyou, the "unofficial" UK Slalom Bulletin Board, for bringing my new purchase and me together. I do not know what sort of relationship it will develop into but time will tell. The first thing that concerns me is I have to deal with a rumour being spread that I have recently got a foreign virus!!!! Its true but not as unpleasant as it sounds!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:44 am

Wow! Over 200 more views in two days! Are people now clicking this topic every time they log in maybe? Like some compulsive behavior disorder I wonder? 1041 views and I already announced that my search is over? Weird! Well, I still am not in posession of the boat until tomorrow. Here's hoping :-) Update to follow! :D

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:49 pm

So I for one looked at this topic for no apparent reason, not currently having a 3.5m slalom boat for sale (not yet anyway...). But it has been useful as I now have this question:

Does that mean there is no longer a Virus demonstrator at HPP?

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:28 am

Yes Fatboy! Sorry but its now down "sarf" here in Bedford for the foreseeable future where it is safe to say that "I'm Lovin' it!"

Ok, here is the performance update (hope you are reading this Joe as I feel I may become your best unpaid Rep!).

Firstly, I had to get comfy! The seat was too far forward for me. The bow was low, my nobbly knees were uncomfortable in that location under the deck and the very deep seat recess had a very high back section that, despite having a recess and foam padding as standard, dug into my lower back. I removed the seat, cut the back section much lower and moved it back 50mm. I stuck some foam under the deck in my new, more comfortable, nobbly knee position and I was good to go!

Coming from a 4m boat this was always going to feel like a fishing float on a hard turn. It does. It wants to turn so much that when paddling forwards it is wanting to turn one way or the other like a dog straining at the leash. We have a couple of decent sluice gates here (Duckmill for those who may know it) and these are excellent for testing aboats bouyancy and stability. At 85kgs I personally find the Virus is both bouyant and very stable. The only "edgy" element is the stern when boat speed is less than flow speed but this is a predictable issue and after enough time in the boat is easily countered. Paddling with the flow it goes where you want it to go making difficult staggers in a 4m boat a real walk in the park in this one! Very manouvrable, nimble even (not an expression that 85kg paddlers use a lot!) and generally exactly the boat I was looking and hoping for. Seat forward or back 50mm as it is now, I do notice the lack of speed in a straight line. However, I make this observation in comparison to a 4m boat and cannot compare it to other 3.5's so this may be typical of this length. My conclusion is that if you are 85kgs and about 6ft tall, the Virus is a great boat. All others I tried with lesser volumes I virtually sank! Maybe I needed to be paddling faster though! Many thanks indeed Joe, I am one very happy customer :-)