Help for newbie judges - help materials for slalom judges

Stuff wanted
80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 am

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any courses or instructional DVDs on how to judge at slalom competitions? I would be delighted to help with judging at competitions but as a non-paddler am nervous that I may get it wrong! So as yet have not been brave enough. I have read the rules in the slalom handbook :p But it would be really helpful to actually see what these definitons look like on the water if you see what I mean.

Many thanks

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 pm

The best thing is to have a go!

Just tell the organisor that you've never judged before and you could do with a hand, or just ask one of the section judges if you can sit with them for a bit. Much better than just reading the rules and trying to work out what a pre touch is!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 am

Judging exams are regularly provided during the year. Give it a go. They are very helpful.

Best thing is to practice by sitting with judges/section judges.

As well as actually judging the gates/paddler you also need to experience using the comms, filling in judging sheets including explaining why penalties are given.

On top of that you will need to be able to determine when to whistle a paddler off.

Some events use 2 or 3 judges on a section so thats a good way to start as you can work with an experienced judge.

But don't be put off you soon get used to it. Just remember to give the paddler the benefit of the doubt.

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks everyone sounds like good advice all round.

Where can I find out about these exams ? (eek!)

:)

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I turned up to the Matlock slalom and they were set up there. I ended up sitting mine there (and losing the piece of paper to say that I had passed - ooops!). I am not sure if there is a list of where they will be available but I have always seen it at Matlock.