Speed Cameras at the first Llangollen W/E - Fair or just making money?

Place to chat about stuff OTHER than slalom
Richard Hodge

Post by Richard Hodge » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Did anyone else see the North Wales Police Camera Partnership van on the A5 just before the Llangollen turning (coming from the south) early on the Sunday morning of the Inter-regional and think it was just a little too inconspicuous until it would have been (or was) too late.
I expect it is probably known by the locals as a regular cash collecting spot, but as a visitor, I think twice before going back to places that make money out of people in this way.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 am

Humberside police pulled the same stunt earlier in the year when the Hull International Polo competition was on, nothing like supporting local sport!!!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:28 am

It happens abroad even more often!!!!!!!!!!

JaneS

Post by JaneS » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:40 am

I got booked the other week driving through Llangollen to Bala at exactly the spot you mention. I don't think it was just aimed at the competition weekend, they are always out to get you there!!! Must be a real moneyspinner for them.... :angry:

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:33 pm

It's the general rule for the North Wales police. I haven't been caught fortunately, but I have learnt to always make sure I am doing the speed limit when driving through any town or village in North Wales. They have often been seen on the A539 into Llangollen on the other side of the river too, and in Trevor.

Another particularly nasty place they hide is on the hill down into Bala from the Tryweryn, you're coming down from 60mph to 30mph on a steep downhill, it takes some standing on the brakes to avoid getting a ticket.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Another thing to bear in mind is that the Chief Constable of North Wales attitude to speeding motorists is notorious enough to have been mentioned on Top Gear more than once.

NKcanoe

Post by NKcanoe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:45 am

Get a Northern Ireland licence and you won't get points in Mainland UK. Just the fine.
Same applies for UK mainland drivers, drving in Northern Ireland.

There is a motion in place to close this loophole.

NK