school help

good idea
44%
not such a good idea
56%

Total votes: 9

mole

Post by mole » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:18 pm

my school has offered my help with my canoeing. they said they would give me more time off to go to events, an excuse for not doing homework. do you think this is a good idea???
moly boy who cant spel

phil-cooke

Post by phil-cooke » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 pm

no because dumb school wont give me time off and i go to the same school as you!!! who said you could have time off like i wanna word with him/her you need all the education you can get your comeing up intio a whole new world soon so no u cant have time off unless i get time off fairs fair

fishy

Post by fishy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 pm

it depends whether u have g.c.s.e or Alevels coming up, i have once or twice been allowed to miss frees to go and train but collage arent happy about it

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Could be a big mistake in the two years before GCSEs and/or A levels, but see what you can negotiate. If you haven't started your GCSE courses yet and are stuck with doing subjects that you KNOW you are going to give up then perhaps the school would agree to you giving up a subject early and using the school library for doing homework duing those lessons so that you have more time for training after school.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Don't want to be a wet blanket on this one, but I think someone may be having a joke at your expense.

Your school can agree to you having an odd day/afternoon off, but anything on a regular basis would need to be approved by the LEA. Given the results of the last couple of OFSTED's there would have to be exceptional circumstances for them to agree.

Also bear in mind that if they did agree to the time off, you will be expected to catch up on the work. :O

If you can get onto the gifted and talented scheme for your canoeing - then the authority do have a mentor and support programme - but it involves full attendance at school and extra sessions after school :angry:

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:31 am

Fairweather Paddler wrote:If you can get onto the gifted and talented scheme for your canoeing - then the authority do have a mentor and support programme - but it involves full attendance at school and extra sessions after school :angry:

This is the case if your school has a gifted and talented register for your school. We have been led to believe you can have longer for course work and homework, but it does still have to be done - so why put it off!
It has also benefitted if you have a long journey to a race or weekend training in that the school is more willing to consider you leaving early.

mole

Post by mole » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 pm

phill if u talk 2 mr jones he mite talk 2 the gifted n talented people. also it wud only b the odd afternoon tho go to wales. finally i am only in year 8 so it don't matter..
moly boy who cant spel

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:41 am

mole wrote:phill if u talk 2 mr jones he mite talk 2 the gifted n talented people. also it wud only b the odd afternoon tho go to wales. finally i am only in year 8 so it don't matter..

I should concentrate on English etc. rather than paddling as this will be more useful in later life rather than a short career, as paddling will never earn you any real money especially slalom!

Take advantage of the odd times that you are allowed to leave early to travel to comp's far afield, otherwise the gifted and talented scheme in Doncaster will not give you much support, believe me 'been there, done that, got the T shirt!' 3 times now.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:28 am

Hi Mole

When I was still at school i only ever had one day off and that was in year 11 as I was going to Germany for a comp to represent GB ok this was for Polo but as you know im training for Polo and Slalom and have been doing this at a high standard for 4 years now and I don’t see why you should be able to have the time off school and why this is sounding like one rule for one and another for others,

Ok College is different at the moment as I have changed my time table so I can have Friday afternoons of but this is not just for slalom comps.
I coach every Friday now and have training and assessments every weekend but I have only got this respect off my teachers by doing work getting it all in on time and to a high standard.

You will soon need time off for comps and when they say NO as you have had so much time off all ready they will not be happy with letting you do that.

You are at an important stage of your life believe it or not.
When I was in Year 9 I started taking training seriously and getting in to all the competition side off paddling and with being on the GB polo Squad and Div 1 K1 and Div 2 C1 you do need to train and keep fitness up so I kept up all my normal training and did not do all the revision I was ment to and I did not get the grades I deserved and now may not be able to go to university.

So even though training is important so is your education

phil-cooke

Post by phil-cooke » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:25 pm

i have only ever needed 1 day off school and that was because my mum didnt like driveing in the dark. it was scotland tully. so for wales u pack on thursday go school on friday and have plenty of time in wales thats all i ever did.
i talked to mr jones in yr 8 he had no intrest in it even though he is a canoeist once in a while for loooooong jorneys ok but wales come on man. why do u feel u need time off?
is it so u can boast to mates in school cos they have more time in school than u. do u just want to get up there for free practice if the gates are up?
no need to go so early we hardly live far away do we mid england central for all races here in sunny doncaster.

dont mess up middle school i did and regret it now in year 11 doin gcse's knowing i havent done my potencial!

stay at school even if canoeing suffers.
education before padling dear old chum
i dont like gifted and talented
yeah im sure they help u with sport and make u stay behind with education. do what i did just paddle when u can if school stops you then just bit ur lip and take it. :cool:

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:16 am

I was on gifted and talented when I was at school but I know it has changed as Sara has been to meetings ect where I just got a bit of money to go towards petrel, kit, training ok it was only £100 but that paid for some of it and every little helps as now im at college I don’t get that so you should use the opportunity of getting help while you can