Slalom paddles doubledutch or raab?

Place to chat about stuff OTHER than slalom
torchwood14

Post by torchwood14 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi

I started slalom in 2009 i am looking into buying some more specific paddles i have tried some doubledutch kinetic's and atomic's much prefer the kinetic's and was ready to buy a set however i then tried 2 very different raab paddles and am torn... i want something strong and durable as they are going to get a lot of use!! does anyone have any advice?!

Thanks
Annie

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:35 pm

i use nomad blades and have used them absolutely loads over the past 3 or 4 years (i can't remember, it's been that long!) and there's not much wrong with them. I think that tehy're quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives at the moment too...

Nicky

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm

i have paddled with both sets

so from personal experience i would definitely say the double dutches for durability.

i terms of paddling the are both excellent paddles, each with its own advantages.

HOWEVER...
got the raabs in december 2006, they lasted 2 events before a chip was taken out of the material. by June 2007 the material was peeling away from the metal tips.

in September 2007 swapped to DD Kinetics (kevlar tip), the left blade got a slight crease in the material due to getting stuck in a rock, but the blade was still strong and wouldn't flex, so still good to paddle with. no other damage.

in November 2009 swapped to Vadja storm paddles (expensive option!). wanted a upgrade of equipment and felt the £320 vadjas were the best performing paddle when tried against Raab, DD Kinetic & Atomic and G'Power. (i my opinion anyway)

Still have the DD's. they are still going strong with very little damage, even with attempts (eg hitting poles out of anger!). The raabs would have shattered and been in a tip by now. they are currently in use as play/creek boating paddles and have seen a few sharp rocks =D.

the choice is yours, but in my experience DD seem to be better build quality.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club