Div 2/3 Vets

Place to chat about stuff OTHER than slalom
Canadian Paddler

Div 2/3 Vets

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Just a thought for consideration during this year. (hold on while I put on my flame proof underwear)

Is there any point in the differential between div 2 and div 3 vets any longer?
We could move to having Prem/1 and 2/3 vets. All eligible to compete at either of the two divisions and get ranking points at those divisions. With portable points the value of points will be different at each competition.

Keeps people paddling where they want, and other benefits.

I have not met many div 2/3 vets who are bothered what their divisional status is, so do we need the complexity and restriction of div 2 AND div 3 ranking or do we just merge?

Just a thought from someone who never did 'take the purple', for consideration during the year
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

harratts

Re: Div 2/3 Vets

Post by harratts » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:30 pm

This approach would appear to be a very logical progression for all classes to adopt now that portable points have been introduced.

I have some suspicions that such a situation was the ultimate end game when the first Paddle Up motion was proposed.

Small steps to get to the final goal where anyone could paddle at any event they wanted to and we would just end up with a single ranking list for each class of entrant from the best to the least able without any divisional break points.

It would work but would the sport be better that way or not?

Steve

WindsorCC

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I raised the question in another thread before the AGM as to why the system is different for 2/3 vets compared to all of the other combined division classes (P/1 Vets and both C2 divisions).

I'm not sure why they don't have the same system of being able to enter both Div 2 and Div 3, getting full points for Div 2 races and half-points for Div 3 races, rather than having to declare a division and then only being able to race in that one.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Div 1/P Vets.
Is there anything stoping a Division1 Paddler from entering Prem as a Vet.
Yes you are going to say they can now do paddle up as a Div 1, but I would much prefer to Paddle Vet Prem and stay in Div 1 Rankings.
So you can only race in one class, so you just state that on your entry card. :roll:

WindsorCC

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi Mike, as a P/1 vet you can enter either Prem or Div 1, you just get half points for Div 1 races.

Same system as with P/1 and 2/3 C2, you can enter either division races, just get half points for the lower division.

At a 2/3 in C2 you're assumed to be entering the higher division. Where there's a Prem and a 1 at the same place on the same weekend they are separate races so you'd just enter whichever race you wanted.

As you say, with the new rules you can just stay in Div 1 and then enter Prem races, so it kind of does the same thing, but at least with P/1 vets you don't have to worry about being demoted if you can only get to a couple of races each year.

I think it would make sense though at some point to standardise the rules for the joint divisions (so Vets and C2), bringing 2/3 Vets into line with P/1 Vets and C2.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 pm

WindsorCC wrote:Hi Mike, as a P/1 vet you can enter either Prem or Div 1, you just get half points for Div 1 races.

Same system as with P/1 and 2/3 C2, you can enter either division races, just get half points for the lower division.

At a 2/3 in C2 you're assumed to be entering the higher division. Where there's a Prem and a 1 at the same place on the same weekend they are separate races so you'd just enter whichever race you wanted.

As you say, with the new rules you can just stay in Div 1 and then enter Prem races, so it kind of does the same thing, but at least with P/1 vets you don't have to worry about being demoted if you can only get to a couple of races each year.

I think it would make sense though at some point to standardise the rules for the joint divisions (so Vets and C2), bringing 2/3 Vets into line with P/1 Vets and C2.
Hi WindsorCC
In 2015, I raced Div1/P in Kayak Vet and in Div2/3 in C1 Vet. [Came 1st in K1 and no other competition in C1]
So in 2016, I applied for Rankin in Div 1 and raced Masters in C1 and K1.[ which I will do in 2017]
I would just like to race K1 at Prem and it douse not look like I will get back to the standard to get promoted so Vet would be a good option.

By allowing this it could open up the Vet Class for others and make Vets what it was in the late 1990s

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 pm

If I understand the question correctly, you cannot be a div 1 ranking paddler in kayak and a prem vet in kayak. You have to make a decision for each event (class as was).
You can be prem / one vet and compete at either / both divisions. And you can be vet in K1 and ranking in C1 (or vice versa).
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Mike
Of course you can now take advantage of paddle up to compete at the prem races - just have to get your entry in early so that you are top of the list when it comes to dishing out spare spaces
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Yes PU is the answer Dee.
But take Tees as an example. Its in October and on about the 8th Jan there were 78 paddle up Div 1s entered.

So that brings the question of extra practice for Some Div 1 paddlers and not all.
Going to need a new post for this argument.
I will be happy watching the masters on Sat and then saving myself for Sunday.
Befor anyone says its a different course on the Sunday, last year about3 gates got moved.

harratts

Post by harratts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

A single digit K1 Men's Vet. race bib for use next season may be more difficult to secure this season than has previously been the case.

At least the new rules for all of the Vet.'s classes appear to have ensured that we will have a good number of us on the start line of all races.

Can't wait to see how the new ranking points for the single division classes work out.

Steve