Shepperton Div 1 - 24th/25th Feb

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Shepperton Div 1 - 24th/25th Feb

Post by Dee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm

This is a heads up for all those that have entered the Div 1 at Shepperton on 24th/25th February.

As many of you will know Shepperton is always very dependent on water levels and we often watch with bated breath, crossing our fingers (and toes) that water levels will be high enough for the div 1. This year the problem has been exacerbated as the side sluices at the edges of the weirs are damaged (and won't be fixed until the summer). Water levels have dropped rapidly over the last couple of weeks and at the moment it really doesn't look good.

There is therefore a strong possibility that we will need to cancel the div 1, as unless things improve dramatically the just won't be enough challenge for a div 1.

We haven't abandoned hope yet as water levels could still rise, so cross your fingers and, if anyone lives in the area of the upper Thames, please start rain dancing asap so that we can get the water flowing down towards Sheppy.

I will try to provide updates here.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Re: Shepperton Div 1 - 24th/25th Feb

Post by Dee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 pm

PS We are still expecting to run the div 2.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Dee -are you able to relate to Gauge readings on what is possible and what would be a no go then folks may be able to check online Gauges http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1195/1313 and work out if the event is viable before travelling. Not that I will be travelling (this year 8) )

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 am

Not easily unfortunately. There is a lot of dependency on water levels quite a way upstream and downstream. What we probably want to see is higher levels up stream but lower levels downstream so that the open sluices to let the water through.

I was surprised how little water was coming through last night. 10 days ago there was plenty. The stream has been decreasing for a few days but the drop still surprised me. Fingers crossed that the reverse becomes true

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am

A bit more water coming over the weir yesterday, but we are not out of the woods yet!

curwen01

Post by curwen01 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Dee - Just following up Seedy Paddler's query. Pleased to see that some water is coming through. We are travelling from Stockport which is about 3.45 hrs away and have booked a hotel on the Friday and Saturday nights. We can still cancel it up to midday on the Friday so I was just wondering how late in the day it might be that we know whether Div 1 is on or not. We haven't been to Shepperton before so it's all new for us. Just don't want to get saddled with two nights hotel costs if it gets cancelled early Saturday morning. Best wishes. Caroline

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm

It is unlikely that we would cancel as late as the Saturday morning and if things are that iffy we would certainly aim to cancel well before you are likely to be setting off.

It is always hard though as no one wants to cancel and it is quite a hard judgement call.

I remember a phone call to tell us when the Washburn was cancelled just as we were coming off the motorway towards Harrogate on a Friday night. Far too late in the day to turn around and too late to cancel the hotel so we decided to turn tourist instead for the Saturday. Had a very enjoyable day as it turned out :)

curwen01

Post by curwen01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks Dee. That's good to know. Well done you for turning Washburn into a great day.

Hopefully see you in a week or so. :D

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Update.....

In addition to continuing low water, broken side-spills and a dry forecast, we also have difficulties with parking as the council has decided to resurface the parking spaces at the lock and will be positioning barriers. This creates a safety issue as we usually use these spaces to allow people to drop kit off etc.

We will be kicking ourselves if the water comes up and the council is delayed but in our heart of hearts we know it won't happen, so we have agreed to cancel the Div 1.

I will sort out refunds and other formalities in the next day or two, but in the mean time lets hope the remaining events of the year have more luck!

curwen01

Post by curwen01 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 am

Ah, a shame, but thanks for letting us know.

Best wishes

Caroline

rose

Post by rose » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am

Hi we have accommodation booked for Thursday 22nd until Sunday 24th at a Hotel at Shepperton, accommodation for 2 adults and 1 child; apparently not refundable; if anybody wants to train for the div 2 or would like a hotel near London, make me an offer, I paid £204.00. Warren Lodge Hotel.
Thanks Rose

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Rose

That is a real pain......

For those who fancy a beak - Shepperton is not seen as a tourist destination, but it would make a good base for a few days....
  • Hampton Court (think Henry VIII and famous maze) is only 15mins drive
  • Royal Windsor and it's castle around 30mins.
  • RHS Wisley for garden lovers (20 mins)
  • Brooklands Museum (Weybridge) Aviation and Motor Sports (10mins)
  • Runnymede (NT & free). Mostly for a walk and Magna Carta memorial - also a war memorial up the top.
  • Swinley Forest Bracknell (30mins) - goApe, 'Mountain' biking, segway rides and Coral Reef swimming pool
  • Virginia Waters/Saville Gardens - nice walk
  • Ham House and Gardens (Richmond) (30mins) - typical national trust.
  • It's an easy train ride to central London - I'd thoroughly recommend touring the Houses of Parliament to get an insight into how our country is governed (great for a rainy day) and of course a thousand other things to do in London.
Finally, for those determined to keep kayaking Shepperton is also about an hour from Lee Valley with its two courses - bear in mind though that you will need to book a slot and will need to book an assessment (if you haven't already had one there)